Your Wildfire Action Plan must be prepared, and familiar to all members of your household well in advance of a wildfire. Each family’s plan will be different, depending on a variety of issues, needs, and situations.
Your Wildfire Action Plan Checklist:
Create an evacuation plan that includes:
- A designated emergency meeting location outside the fire or hazard area. This is critical to determine who has safely evacuated from the affected area.
- Several different escape routes from your home and community. Practice these often so everyone in your family is familiar in case of emergency.
- Have an evacuation plan for pets and large animals such as horses and other livestock.
- Have fire extinguishers on hand and train your family how to use them (check expiration dates regularly).
- Ensure that your family knows where your gas, electric, and water main shut-off controls are located and how to safely shut them down in an emergency.
- Maintain a list of emergency contact numbers
- Have a portable radio or scanner so you can stay updated on the fire.
For more information on getting ready for wildfire season, check out Cal Fire's Ready for Wildfire page!